Today we became one of the 9 South African headquartered professional service provider signatories of the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI). As a PRI Signatory, this is what we signed up to:
“As professional service partners, we recognise that we have considerable influence over how our clients address ESG issues. Standards & Legal acknowledges the relevance of ESG issues to investment management, and commits to providing, promoting and improving services that support the implementation of the following Principles:
- To incorporate Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes;
- To be an active owner and to incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices;
- To seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest;
- To promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry;
- To work with the PRI Secretariat and other signatories to enhance their effectiveness in implementing the Principles;
- To report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.”
Fulfilling the PRI through the Standards & Legal ESG Platform
The Standards & Legal ESG Platform is a next generation “obligations compliance” solution which allows boards, groups, funds and fund managers to simplify the complexity of ESG compliance from the perspectives of:
- legislation and law,
- voluntarily adopted standards,
- integrated reporting frameworks such as the GRI,
- best practice KING3 and KING4 when it comes out,
- Fund promoted standards such as the IFC Performance Standards,
- and anything else “Standards & Legal” related that piles on the complexity and confusion of this domain.
ESG complexity simplified meets risk reduction and value creation
It has been shown that managing ESG factors well leads to financial out-performance. ESG management, and value creation starts with ESG risk identification and ESG legal compliance. This is relevant at all phases of investment life cycles from due diligence to exit. As a PRI Signatory, and because this is the “sweet-spot” of the our ESG Platform, we are excited to witness the benefits to our clients of sound ESG management.
Contact us for more information.